Friday, February 17, 2023

The Cold Stillness of February

Still cold in Oklahoma, not much going on with the weather lately.  Cold, cloudy, a stillness in the weather.  Little signs of life from plants or animals.  Most everyone keeping indoors. 

I’m a keen observer that there are spiritual lessons God infuses into each season of the year.  Spring reminds of us of new beginning, summer activates us fully, Fall is the relief God gives of the heat of August.  

And Winter reminds us of preparation for death, of dying to this world.  That is what I get from this cold stillness. A reminder all will pass away in this life.  Nothing lasts this side of the grave.  Everything will return back to the Earth.  So the brutal chill stepping out my door in the morning, seeing my windshield covered in yet another thick layer of frost, all of that sobers me to the reality that all our successes, pleasures, crosses, and sufferings, literally everything in this life except our soul, will pass away after we die and kneel before the judgment seat of God.  

It’s a good meditation during the last part of Winter that coincides with Lent, and preparation for things coming alive in Spring which coincides with Easter.  So I’m thankful to the Creator He gave us the four seasons, including Winter, including that point during Winter which corresponds for me to right now, when cabin fever sets in, and Nature itself compels me stay inside, and reflect inwardly about our mortality and eternal end.