Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Virtual Reality Goggles???!!!

Pope officially creates loophole for Divorced-and-Remarried Catholics to receive Holy Communion...Hillary Clinton is nominated by the Democratic party...New IVF human embryos "enhanced" with mitochodrial DNA from a "3rd parent".......

We just keep pushing the envelope in the Quest for Cosmic Transhuman Evolution.

contact.gif (343×232)  

And now my Internet Friends, we have the latest Revolution towards Digital-Spiritual Enlightenment.  The clever, innovative, and CHEAP means to experience in 3D endless variations of Alternative Worlds.

2294483-sony-hmz-t2_cnet_france_56593_screen.jpg (480×360)

Live, 3D karate matches with friends in Korea.  Joining the next team to summit Everest via a trancontinental Virtual Reality experience.  Geneticists shrinking themselves down to the biochemical level to fly into a cell's nucleus to virtual splice artificial genes into chromosomes to make "new-and-improved" human beings.  Just made up those absurdist examples.

And so after talking to a coworker, I am shockingly surprised to discover that 3D Virtual Reality technology is now mainstream and affordable.  For Real?  I'm pinching myself.  Part of me wants to reread C.S. Lewis' Abolition of Man which warns modern society of modern technology in the end destroying our current civilization.  

abolition4.jpg (600×635)

Yet my cognitive dissonance gives way to a euphoric excitement.  Literally, I can NOW lay down $10 at Best Buy for 3D goggles, to which I can attach my smartphone and start uploading 3D Virtual Apps!!   To quote my coworker: "Dude, I'm telling you.  Its like real.  You won't want to take them off.  It feels like you're literally there."

maxresdefault.jpg (1920×1080)

I keep going back to the maxim "Technology is in itself neither good nor bad," but as I feel myself pulled into the Tractor Beam of the Technological Revolution, I simultaneously can't help but feel skeptical about the psychedelic digital vortex we keep spinning into.

4.jpg (618×474)

As usual, THE COMMENT BOX IS OPEN!