Sunday, November 12, 2023

More Thoughts on Aliens

I took down my post about aliens, after second thought.  Raising serious discussion and claims about aliens and UFOs seems at best an unnecessary distraction and at  worst a possible path into the demonic and loss of faith.  I’ve been following it lately as one thing to do while unable to work from my illness, but it’s a dangerous rabbit hole to go down into. 

Looking at this again from the viewpoint of my past skepticism, which I’ve since held, we can’t believe the government on many things, knowing the Pentagon has created both anti-UFO and pro-UFO stories to coverup secret programs.  And just because  a widespread phenomenon exists subjectively experienced, doesn’t make it true.  Even the most credible witnesses can be unintentionally fooling themselves to believe an experience to be true, when it isn’t.

In the case of Bob Lazar, whose case was my tipping point moving beyond skepticism, I have to challenge myself and say he could be an otherwise very sane and honest man whose mind went wild embellishing a story which he believes to be true, but isn’t.  He could be the most credible and like able man on Earth, and otherwise very sane, but something psychological in him could have created false, distorted memories or perceptions.  

I can say the same for people I’ve known who claimed to see things. 

I have no theoretical problem with the concept of aliens and UFOs, as long as nothing contradicts an article of Faith in which case I reject it.  I can see evidence for them which can seem overwhelming, but there is also much evidence to debunk the narrative.  There is just too much overlap between UFOology and the new age, the occult, and the demonic for these to not to be the main causes if not not exclusive explanations. 

Also, if we can harness nuclear energy, make nuclear weapons, create electromagnetic pulse weapons when if detonated over a country would send it back to the stone ages, fly to and land on the moon, then it is plausible some government has already learned the science for these kind of craft and are keeping them secret.  That objectively is more plausible than little green men from light years away, who would come all this way to observe and do experiments on us. 

What got me to back off on my conclusion was after I listened to part of an audiobook online claiming to be a released interview of an alien from Roswell conducted by a military nurse.  To put it lightly, it was a brief disturbance to my faith and Christian worldview, to find out hours later it was a fraud, really a work of science fiction by a Scientology science fiction author trying to deceive people into believing in their wacky Scientology beliefs about Earth and the universe.  Yet it is still presented online like it is the real deal.  

It makes for an interesting diversion, but I regret taking it as seriously as I did recently.  In the end we have one life to live, and will never know all the mysteries of the universe in our lifetime.  And yet there is overwhelming, conclusive evidence for God, Christ, the truths of the Catholic Church, heaven, and hell.