Friday, November 5, 2021

Digital Minimalism

I listened recently to a youngish, brilliant MIT grad, a PhD Computer Science Georgetown professor, author of several books presenting data critiquing our digital media/social media culture.  

Watch here:




Awareness of this phenomenon is like an awakening to its effects on society and individual health.  Or better put, the more I personally embrace this minimalist, traditionalist philosophy regarding the use of technology, the more I am re-awakened to the Real.  

To Reality outside my mind, which largely is not represented on the modern screen, whether the smart phone, computer, or TV.  Unplugging re-awakens the five senses, common sense, mental clarity, and mindfulness.  

In light of this, I’m finding myself wanting to write less this blog, or rather to economize better the time I give to it.  I’ve discontinued my recently added news feed side blog since I think I need even less exposure to daily “news” than would be necessary to comment on it as much as I’ve done. 

This subject reminds me of the Amish. They are right (and somewhat wrong) about technology.  They are wrong in my view because they tend to be luddites, tending to treat modern technology as evil.  That would be a kind of semi-Manichaeism, the demonization of material things.   

However, the Amish are right that we must be radically deliberate in how we choose to use any form of technology, lest it takes over us, rather than us having dominion over it.  And they are very good examples today of such self-mastery. 

Digital minimalism then would be one similar response. Only use digital technology when it is strictly necessary, or adds substantial value to your life that promotes spiritual, mental, and social health. 

How addicted are you to your smart phone?  Facebook, or any other form of social media?  Of staying “connected” through a 2 D screen you glue your eyes to hours a day?

I’ve already said too much, if I’m going to embrace this philosophy even more.  Instead I’ll be eating fish tonight with the Mrs. at the locally famous, fish restaurant White River Fish Market, a go-to for the Catholic Friday Fish Eater, sipping whiskey later, and playing with our new German shepherd puppy.  Keeping it Real. 

Have a good weekend fellow Okie Trads and Beyond. Enjoy these Fall colors!