Saturday, March 27, 2021

Lovin' this Spring Weather

Lovin' this Spring weather.  I feel like a caterpillar emerging from his cocoon, turning into a butterfly.

Yep, a butterfly.

As regular readers know, I get cabin fever by late January, early February, chomping at the bit for warmer weather to be outside.  It is like I come back to life, emerging from the artificially lit den of the house in winter, into a sunny yard where birds come to feed on bird seed, the garden becomes green and productive, and I start to spread my wings again in the Great Outdoors.




The bird feeder is working great.  Not too many squirrels trying to shimmy up that narrow pole to the bird feeder, but instead they like to congregate around its base to eat seeds that fall to the ground after birds have taken their share.  The other day though, the Mrs. showed me a pic she took of about a dozen crows that had swept down trying to dominate the bird feeder.  Not the most Spring-like bird to observe, but this morning I was listening to them, and they make a nice song sound that is rather pleasant to the ear.

Plus a good crow caller device is good for scouting out turkey nests as I discovered hunting turkey last season.  Note to self, Spring turkey season is almost here.  Hmm.  But I digress...

I've got visions dancing in my head of a second bird feeder, a concrete water feeder, a statue of St. Francis (or St. Joseph) to accompany our front yard statue of Our Lady, and of course my Spring garden.  Couldn't track down today a rototiller to rent, but I bought a bunch of seeds and supplies.  Will plant something smaller, and buy a new small rototiller online to expand the garden in May for the summer.   Watching videos, and reading reviews, there are some really good small rototillers for under $200.  No need for a Troybuilt, but that is on my wish list one day.  And there will soon enough be trips to Blue Hole Spring, fishing, hiking, and if I can coax my not-as-much-into-outdoor-sports-as-I-am wife, a camping trip.



My Go-To Book for Gardening
Last I Checked, Angelus Press Sold This
Seems Trad Catholics Like to Garden!

Will be going for a week in a month to New Mexico, to Sante Fe, then the Pecos Wilderness nearby.  May camp at least one night, the other night staying in a cabin.

Hope you and yours are enjoying the blessing of Spring as well.  Next week is Holy Week (we plan to attend the Triduum in T-town, but Holy Saturday at the Society chapel in OKC).  Then it will be Easter!