Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturday Morning Musings: Bishop Gracida, Oklahoma Summer Heat, Minivacation, Blue Hole

Good morning fellow Okie Trads and Beyond.  I'm perched at the end of my couch this fine Saturday morning giving my "Saturday morning musings" as I've been calling them.  Thoughts circulating this week in my mind.

Bishop Gracida:

Bishop Gracida, retired bishop of Corpus Christi, it seems follows yours truly.  I interviewed him a while back here about his proposal that the Cardinals evaluate the canonical legitimacy of the current pontificate.  Discussed here.  Some time back he remarked I reminded him of a contemporary Will Rogers which I found flattering.

His blog is one of the tiny few I check in on now and then, from my own little corner of the Traditional Catholic Blogosphere.  It seems he has made my own comment moderation approach his own, quoting me here.  Kudos good bishop.  By the way, he celebrates daily the Traditonal Latin Mass!  Probably the most traditional diocesan bishop in the world!!




Hey, I like You Okie Trad!


Oklahoma Summer Heat:

Heat advisories being issued here in Oklahoma this week.  One day I hear tell the heat index got up to 110 degrees F.  I sure did feel it, getting in and out of my car throughout the day as I need to do for work.  There was a spell yesterday when I had to be outside in the purgatorial heat for about 15 minutes around 2pm and it sucked the life out of me.  But I figure I am making up for my missed past opportunities for penance. 

There is a spiritual rule expressed in places that if one owes a large amount of "temporal punishment due to sin" that they can pay that debt even in a short amount of time when dealt heavy suffering, and when offered with humility. 

That will be my endeavor these next weeks ahead as I pass through this southern heat and humidity, this mental marathon until September or October.



July and August in Oklahoma
Our Penance


Minivacation:

PTO has been saved up, and we are taking a mini-vacation next week from Wednesday through Sunday, to St. Louis, MO, then St. Mary's, KS.  The tentative itinerary is leave Wed at 3am, arrive at 
the "Gateway to the West" at 9am, have breakfast at Union Station, settle into a hotel, see a church, tour the Anheiser-Busch factory, and have dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory.  Thurs. Mass at the SSPX priory, go to the free city zoo, lunch, then go to the top of the Arch, see some more churches, then eat at this gourmet restaurant someone highly recommended.



Fri. morning Mass again at the SSPX, leave 9ish, arrive in St. Mary's by 3pm, settle into a nearby hotel, evening Mass if they have it, that or Vespers, meet a friend for dinner.  Sat. will be Mass, go to one or two of the Divine Offices chanted by the Society Fathers, Brothers, and Sisters, visit a friend or two, stay out of the heat, then come back to Tulsa first thing Sunday morning after the High Mass.   Trying to convince the wife to visit one "Pope Michael" in Topeka on the way back, as I interviewed him here before as well.  Uniquely unique man, but edifying.  He's actually emailed me before about info in my blog posts, so I have another very interesting reader to reach out to from my laptop!



Will make a blog post with pics and commentary of our trip! 


Blue Hole:

Well, it's going to be hot again today I expect so I'm hitting the road now.  To get to Blue Hole early for a swim, picnic, and country drive back.  I love Blue Hole!

Lastly, I am planning a post about the "Attack on European American, Conservative, Catholic, Christian, Masculine Men" by the '"Culture War."  A diabolical attack ultimately in the end on traditional marriage, the family, and Christian society.   Hope to write it this weekend!