Sunday, September 24, 2023

My First Day in Heaven

God willing I make it to heaven, on my first day I’d like to spend time with my dad.  He passed away in 2008.  Growing up he and I were very close, my fondest memories with him being in the great outdoors especially backpacking.  However, without going into details, our relationship changed in my adulthood, affecting me deeply.  

I would imagine he and I walking up to each other and giving each other a big hug. At first he would appear older like I remember him, with grey hair, but then we would both be in our ideal state as young men.  We would sit down and catch up.  He’d tell me about his adventures in heaven, and me how life went after his passing.  We would briefly recall our differences in this life, but rejoice in our reunion, and then the unfavorable memories would be erased. 

Then we would take a hike through the most beautiful mountain valley.  We would finish up our reunion sitting by a fire, eating a steak, sipping on whiskey, and smoking a cigar. 

In reality I know heaven is a mystery and transcends our experience in this life, but the Bible also says God grants all our desires in heaven, so if my dad and I are saved, that is my desire for a reunion.  So I’m confident that would be how it would happen. 

I offer up my present crosses for the repose of the soul of my dad.  His name was Joseph.  I received a Catholic upbringing because of him. He taught me the truths of the Faith. He worked hard as a post man. And I tend to think he did his purgation for his sins before he died and is now in heaven.  He had Parkinson’s disease, ending up completely paralyzed for over a year before he died, unable to speak or eat.  I remember he always had a peaceful, accepting demeanor in his face during that last year. 

I choose to remember the good years with him, and what I received from him, and hope to see one day again. May he rest in peace.