Saturday, November 16, 2019

My Half Day Trip to Clear Creek

For me, knowing I had an hour plus drive from Tulsa to make it to the monastery’s Office of Lauds at the wee 6:15 am, I wasn’t exactly inclined to rest easy and fall asleep early, though I tried.    How these monks arise daily at what 5 am to pray for over three hours before even having their breakfast, God knows.

My day pack was packed, and my dauchshund Peanut snuggled under her blanket in the front seat.  Had to first hit QuickTrip for Diet Coke, my go-to source of caffeine.

An hour and fifteen minutes later I arrived in the monastery parking lot, it still pitch black outside.  Peanut was restless, but I kept the car and heater running, and after a spell she stopped barking while I attended Lauds and Low Mass, the latter being a most edifying spiritual experience in the monastic crypt.





Entering the upper church for Lauds

Though I will say the challenge during Low Mass, with a church of side altars with priests simultaneously offering the Mass in silence, with a large figure like mine, is to stand, sit, and kneel without making much of a peep. 

Back to the car, Peanut was electrified to see me.  Her reward for waiting was a section of a Slim Jim. 

And then off to our outdoor retreat we went.  Drove past the orchard, farm, and through three gates to finally arrive at Eagle’s Bluff overlooking the clear and majestic Clear Creek.  Grabbed my gear, and let Peanut run wild, with no human being at least within a quarter mile of the monastery.  Bald Eagles soared overhead.  The Fall colors and hilly landscape was serene.  




Had to climb across a fence and down a steep ravine, everything in hand, but was myself rewarded this beautiful setting.  Set up my chair, a space on plastic with my gear, and my fly rod.  Lit up my backpacking stove using charcoal, and started breakfast while Peanut experienced unbridled freedom. 
I was thankful that morning I was able to receive Our Lord truly present in Holy Communion, and for this bit of retreat of my own in nature.
  Here are some pics, which unfortunately won't open up as videos.
Will have to figure out how to upload videos better from my phone.







Made an egg scramble on my backpacking stove.  Peanut had her share.  

Didn't catch any fish, but had a restful morning get-away from the city, thanks to the hospitality of the Clear Creek monks.