Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Hot Tub Meditations

After a marathon of a day at work, it really hit the spot to slide into the newly renovated whirlpool at my local health club, following an aerobic swim.  It only took two long months for them to fix the thing, which was a bit of penance to wait for.   Nothing gets the cortisol levels down like a brisk swim followed by the hot soothing waters of a whirlpool hot tub.

I think it helps all of us if we have something like this to alleviate the stresses of the day after putting in a full schedule.  Maybe it’s to sit for a spell in your recliner and blog like me.  Or to sit on the back porch with a cold drink, fermented or not.  Or to drop by a Eucharistic adoration chapel for a short visit to Our Lord on the way home.

For me for some time my regular tonic has been the swim and hot tub, especially the latter.    There’s something meditative about it.  The atmosphere is usually quiet with few people or chatter.   The warmth eases the mind, as do the swirling bubbles for the body.   And so I lean back and reflect on the day, and days ahead.   As I did today.

I thought of my patients, especially those most challenging because of multiple co-morbidities, some at risk of death.  I think of a person I know right now fighting for their life in the hospital, with many people praying for them.  I reflect on my avocation to care for the sick, to help everyone in my path get to heaven by showing the charity 
and mercy of God, our own plans for our life and 
future.   God’s will be done.

I closed my eyes to take in the aquatic massage as I thought of plans for the weekend.   To visit said person in the hospital.  To attend Sunday Mass perhaps again in OKC.   Maybe to hit up Blue Hole Spring.   It’s a two hour round trip, and one hour in its therapeutically cold waters is enough; so three hours maybe for that.

Have to thank God for all His blessings, and too the Crosses He sends us.  Whether that be serious illness, the oppressive nature of working for corporate America ruled by Liberal Capitalism, cultural persecution/marginalization for being a traditional Catholic, etc. 

Still He sustains us with His grace and natural 
blessings.  What family, friends, food, shelter, etc we are blessed with, also sustains us.  

Wishing you all a good rest of your work week, and then a restful and productive weekend.  Cooler temps are approaching and all the goodness of the Fall season!